Sunday 1 November 2015

An innovative tribute to some notable October born legends - Part 1

                         As the month of October draws to a festive close here in my homeland India, I choose to pay a tribute to some of my personal heroes in this post, who led legendary lives and from whose lives, I draw inspiration and try to imbibe some of their principles so that my life on this planet earth is more meaningful and I too can leave my footprints in the sands of time for posterity to remember me, long after I have gone. This is a three-part series with a single blog post dedicated to each part in the series. The first post is dedicated to some truly illustrious Indian legends.   Before I begin my tribute, I would like to convey that doing justice to the greatness of such inspirational heroes through a single blog post is truly a humongous task, but here is my humble attempt. 


                        It is now time to reveal the legends! Let me make it a little more innovative and interesting! The first heroic figure was born on October 2 in 1869 in Porbandar, Gujarat, India.  Any guesses? I think, most of my Indian readers have hit the bull’s eye. But never mind! Let me roll out the second clue in this game of ‘Who is it? ‘. He is also known  as ‘Bapu’ or ‘The Father Of The Nation’, here in india. I am sure most of you identified this legend. Not yet? Then identify the personality below.




                           The legend is revealed! It is Mohandas Karmachand Gandhi, also known as Mahatma Gandhi. The honorific Mahatma , which in Sanskrit means ‘high-souled’, was first applied to him in South Africa. Now, it is used worldwide. Gandhiji was the unsurpassable leader of the Indian Independence Movement back in the times of the British Ruled India. His method was the path of truth and non-violence. Following non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhiji directed India to Independence. He distinguishably shepherded Indians  and challenged the British through the renowned Dandi Salt March in 1930 and the Quit India Movement in 1942. He partook simple vegetarian food and commenced long fasts as means of both self purification and social protest. His birthday (October 2) is celebrated in India as Gandhi Jayanthi and worldwide as the International Day of Non-Violence! Truly befitting indeed!

My Favorite Quotes of the Mahatma:







                           It is time now for the second legend to be revealed. Identify him if you can. He was born on the 15th of October, 1931 and raised in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu and studied physics and aerospace engineering. Any guesses? He is obviously, an Indian, but who is he?  Time for the second clue! He spent the next forty years as a scientist and science administrator principally at DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization) and ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) and was very closely involved in India’s civilian space program and military missile development efforts. Still cannot figure? Okay, the third and final clue. He was the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007. Hope, my Indian readers have identified him. Presenting to you, the Missile Man Of India, Bharat Ratna, Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen  “A. P. J.” Abdul Kalam.   


                         The People’s President, Dr.Kalam was the first resident of the Rashtrapati Bhawan who connected to the masses, especially the youth who accessed him via the internet.  Dr,Kalam was one of the selected young scientists sent by Dr. Vikram Sarabhai for training of ‘sounding rockets’ at the National Aeronautics Space Agency in the US.  Sadly, we lost this diamond of India on 27th July, 2015. A truly irreparable loss for India. We miss You, Sir and You will remain in our hearts forever. 

My Favorite Quotes of Dr.APJ Kalam:




                This brings us to the end of the first blog post in the Three Part Series of October born legends. 

Stay tuned for the second blog post in this series. The second and third blog posts will reveal some International legends born in the month of October. 

Coming Very Soon! Bookmark my blog url or add it to your favorites! 

Return to my blog as I continue to pay an innovative tribute to some other legends in some other fields and let me remind you once again - International personalities born in October will be revealed in my subsequent blog posts !

Any Guesses? Feel free to leave your comments as to who you think, I will pay my tribute to in my forthcoming posts!

Meanwhile, as always, thank you for reading!

References:













7 comments:

  1. It is a good biographical tribute to some truly great Indians! Waiting for the 2nd and 3rd posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clueless on the 2nd and 3rd posts! Hurry please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for the comments. I am working on the 2nd post and it will soon be online! Meanwhile, keep guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Good Article! Looking forward to the next post in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You again! My next post is coming up very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill Gates(October 28) or Pele(October 23) .I think you'll write about one of those next.Can't wait for your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, great guesses!!! Lets see if they are indeed the ones!

    ReplyDelete